Organic sulfur, or MSM (methyl-sufonyl-methane), is a bioavailable form of sulfur that is found in plants, fruits, vegetables, fish, poultry, eggs, meats, and milk. The purified form of organic sulfur that I offer is an odorless white crystal with a slightly bitter taste due, in part, to its high 9.3 pH.
One of the basic elements of life, sulfur is an essential component in human nutrition. Sulfur is found in every cell in the body and is structurally and functionally important to 150 compounds, including hormones, enzymes, antibodies, and antioxidants. Sulfur is necessary for the synthesis of collagen, immunoglobulin and enzymes, and is held mainly in the muscles, skin, bones, nails, and hair.
Mitochondria are important energy converters that produce waste products called reactive oxygen species that include ‘free radicals’. In the body, sulfur:
• Promotes an efficient exchange of nutrients and waste products, and maintains cell membrane flexibility and permeability.
• Ensures connective tissue health and formation of collagen.
• Provides the body with raw materials needed to create new cells, and repairs and replaces damaged tissues and organs.
• Is needed in the production of insulin as well as the metabolism of carbohydrates.
• Is essential in maintaining the body’s critical acid/alkaline (pH) balance.
• Is an activator of vitamin C, thiamine (vitamin B1), pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), and biotin (vitamin B7).
The standard dosage for a healthy adult weighing 200 pounds or less is 1 teaspoon of organic sulfur dissolved in one or two ounces of non-chlorinated or filtered water (hot or warm) that is subsequently followed up with a full glass of water or juice. Because our bodies need a fresh supply of sulfur every 12 hours, the same dosage is taken twice a day – once in the morning and again in the late afternoon or early evening. If you are a light sleeper, it is recommended that you take your second dosage no later than 4pm because the oxygenation of your cell membranes can be so stimulative that it can prevent you from sleeping.
Also, avoid taking organic sulfur at the same time as your prescription drugs and nutritional supplements. Pills and capsules often contain additives such as silicon dioxide or calcium stearate which will prevent your body from utilizing sulfur. For this reason, take your organic sulfur dosage first (either with food or on an empty stomach), then wait 30 minutes before taking your medications and supplements.
Proper hydration is absolutely necessary, since the oxygen for cellular metabolism comes from the water we drink as opposed to the air we breathe. To ensure that you are properly hydrated, I recommend drinking one ounce (30 ml) of water for every two pounds (0.9 kg) of body weight per day. For example, if you weigh 128 pounds (58 kg), your suggested water intake would be 64 ounces (1.9 litres) daily.
Some individuals when they begin their organic sulfur protocol may experience a detox response where they suddenly complain of headaches, dizziness, or flu-like symptoms. If that happens to you, take another dosage of organic sulfur with food immediately and allow the temporary healing crisis to pass.
Conditions That Can Be Helped Using Organic Sulfur
Customers worldwide have been successfully taking organic sulfur to gain relief from numerous health maladies, including:
• Arthritis and osteoarthritis.
• Skin conditions such as acne, psoriasis, rosacea, toenail fungus, burns, liver spots, and disorders associated with Lupus Erythematosus.
• High blood pressure
• Calcium plaque in the arteries.
• Gastrointestinal disorders such as acid indigestion, GERD, irritable bowel syndrome, leaky gut, and chronic constipation.
• Migraines and headaches.
• ADD, ADHD, hyperactivity, depression, and mood swings.
• Respiratory issues such as allergies, asthma, and emphysema.
Early results of an experimental study using Organic Sulfur
By Patrick McGean, Director of the Cellular Matrix Study
pubished on NaturoDoc
Mitochondrion – much more than an energy converter
British Society for Cell Biology