I recently received emails from a couple of organic sulfur customers who stated that they suffered from migraine headaches immediately after they started to take the product. One customer said she had to skip work for a day because her migraines were so severe. Since most of my organic sulfur customers do not suffer from migraines after they start the regimen, it’s important to determine the possible causes and what can be done to address the symptom.
One of the alternative health guides that I refer to on a regular basis is Dr. F. Batmanghelidj’s book, Your Body’s Many Cries for Water, that was originally published in 1992. On page 51 of his book, Dr. Batmanghelidj offered his perspective about the cause of migraines and how it may be directly linked to dehydration:
In my personal experience, migraine headaches seem to be brought about by dehydration; excess bed covers that will not permit the body to regulate its temperature during sleep; alcoholic beverages (hangover) initiating a process of cellular dehydration, particularly in the brain; dietary or allergic triggers for histamine release; excess environmental heat without water intake. Basically, migraine seems to be an indicator of critical body temperature regulation at times of “heat stress.” Dehydration plays a major role in the prescription of migraine headaches.
Proper hydration is an essential requirement of the organic sulfur protocol, since the oxygen for healthy cellular metabolism is contained in the water we drink, rather than in the air we breathe. If a person begins to take doses of organic sulfur without drinking enough water, he or she is likely to experience an adverse body response similar to a Herxheimer reaction (herx) which:
…occurs when the body tries to eliminate toxins at a faster rate than they can be properly disposed of. The more toxic one’s bodily systems are, the more severe the detoxification, or healing crisis…Such reactions are temporary and can occur immediately — or within several days, or even several weeks, of a detox. Symptoms usually pass within 1-3 days, but on rare occasions can last several weeks…
When any treatment or cleansing program causes a large scale die-off of bacteria, a significant amount of endotoxins (toxins within the bacteria itself) are released into the body. The more bacteria present, and the stronger their endotoxins, the stronger the cleansing reaction.
Source: The Healing Crisis http://www.falconblanco.com/health/crisis.htm
Common herx responses include: headaches (which may be caused by buildup of toxins in the blood); increased joint or muscle pain; diarrhea; extreme fatigue and/or its opposite, restlessness; fever and/or chills; flu-like symptoms; a drop in blood pressure; frequent urination; sinus congestion; cramps; aches and pains; insomnia; and nausea.
To successfully overcome a temporary healing crisis, drink plenty of fresh (preferably distilled or filtered, such as from a Big Berkey gravity feed system) water to flush toxins from your body. Drink water from a non-chlorinated source, as chlorine reacts with sulfur. If the only drinking water you have available is from a municipal source, be sure to take from the hot water side of the tap, which should enable you to avoid most of the chlorine. Organic Sulfur For Health recommends drinking one ounce (30 ml) of water for every two pounds (0.9 kg) of body weight. For instance, if you weigh 160 pounds, your water consumption should average about 80 ounces daily.
If you experience a herx-like response after starting your organic sulfur regimen, be sure to take another dose IMMEDIATELY with food along with a glass of water. For healthy individuals weighing under 200 pounds, the standard dose is one teaspoon of sulfur (4 gm) twice a day. The Cellular Matrix Study has learned from its 17-year history that our bodies can tolerate ingesting an excess amount of organic sulfur rather than too little. Any sulfur that your body cannot use will be safely excreted.
Finally, be sure to consume organic sulfur first and then wait 30 minutes before taking any prescription medicines, vitamins, and supplements. Additives and flow agents such as calcium stearate and silicon dioxide that are commonly added by the manufacturer to their pills and capsules block the uptake of sulfur. Waiting a half hour allows your body enough time to fully absorb the sulfur.